Saturday, February 19, 2011

Group 6 Blog

http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/the_soup/index.html
It's our last blog!! For the last post our group thought it would be a good idea to put up a blog that most people have heard of. The Soup Blog, which is also a TV show on E!, talks about celebrities, politicians, and other social figures and events in a funny and kind of degrading way. They put up a lot of segments from the show and make posts based on whatever new things are going on in the media. Enjoy!

15 comments:

  1. I would like to respond to Prompt #7:

    After viewing several of the posts (such as the ones involving Oprah Winfrey or the TV show Survivor), it's safe for me to say that this blog does nothing more than highlight unique or embarrassing moments in the media. I was disappointed that the blog did little more than describe these occurrences. Sometimes the posts provided absolutely no commentary and only contained descriptions of their subject, such as in the post about Survivor. There was almost no opinionated or humorous commentary in other posts except for maybe a couple of sentences near the end. Sadly, I found these very few remarks to be dull and humorless. "Sorry, for a second there we started to think this whole thing actually mattered." This is one of the blog's criticisms regarding an incident with Oprah Winfrey. However, I feel this quote fits better in this comment, regarding my criticism of the blog's irrelevance and ineffectiveness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to respond to Prompt #7:

    Based on the interface of the blog I believe that it is fun distraction from the day. The background is bright blue and the interface is very colorful. Also all of the video clips in the blog are reletively short so that you can just get a little dose of what they are showing. In the title it says"The soup blog served daily," indicating that it is updated everyday to get people coming back for new stuff. I believe the blog is aimed at a female audience, consisting of younger women to middle aged moms. i believe this because of the adds that are posted on the blog are for a site that sells discounted dresses for babies, moms and kids and another one is for coupons. Based on the interface I believe the soup is a distraction for women with a family during their busy day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like respond to prompt 1:

    My first glance of this blog is all kinds of advertisement. I would like think it is a website rather than a blog. The color of this blog is light blue. People will feel relax when they see this color. It indicates that it is a funny blog rather than a satire on policy. The title of this blog is really simple, only the words, the soup blog and served daily. But it indicates what kind of the blog is. When you have a look at the bio of the author of this blog, Joel McHale, you will feel funny about the picture and think this people is very outgoing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will respond to prompt #7.

    This blog's primary purpose seems to be for entertainment. Most of the posts seem to make fun of occurrences in the media and a to a make of public figures. The latest post was an impersonation of Amy Winehouse from an episode of The Soup and the post below that was a post that made fun of a contestant that was on Jeopardy. These are humorous and more there are more posts like these that are put on the blog everyday. I find some of these posts humorous, but not all of them. I think they post so many in one day in order to give a variety for people to watch. The blog then would be able to serve as an outlet for those having a bad day and just want something to cheer them up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Prompt #7:

    This blog is obviously just comedy for those surfing the web, and I think the only purpose of this blog would be to serve as a laugh. Throughout the posts, the writers use sarcasm to make fun of people and popular television shows. It would only make sense that the target audience for this blog would be young adults or the working class who watch these television shows or who know who these celebrities are. Also, it doesn't really affect people's knowledge or ideas because the readers can tell that the author of the post is kidding.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok so I'm really mad right now because I just went to post the entire comment that I had typed up and it got deleted and I don't remember anything I said. In my last post I started off writing about prompt 7 like everyone else then i transitioned into saying something about the vulgarity on the blog and the entire site as a whole and the lack of censorship and how i found it interesting. So I guess i'll try again.

    I thought it was interesting how they used certain words and phrases throughout their posts like it was no big deal or anything. They used phrases like "because it's hit the tip of America's wang: Miami, Florida." The way they used america's wang in that statement i guess could be considered a turn off to a lot of readers. But since this is all about pop culture and entertainment, if you're coming to the blog, you should almost be expecting that kind of language and such.

    ReplyDelete
  7. #1

    Every time I watched one of the videos on this blog, I had to watch a Banana Republic advertisement first. I'd like to do an analysis of that ad.

    The ad features six young adults, probably in their mid-twenties driving through what looks like the badlands or possibly the American southwest in a convertible. They are all good looking and stylishly dressed. Two white girls and one asian girl, two white guys and one black guy. A voice says, "There are no stop signs, no red lights. No rules, just good friends at your side, and new memories straight ahead. Banana Republic, journey in style." One of the guys can play guitar and it makes all of the others very happy. Most of them wear aviator style sunglasses at one point or another. At one point, one of the guys pulls out a very retro camera and takes a picture of the guy sitting in the passenger seat of the convertible. The whole time a very hip song (Susie Cues by Javelin) is playing in the background.

    I feel like this ad tries to appeal to upper-middle class women in their early thirties whose lives are starting to wind down. They have married husbands who have good jobs and can support them and they have kids. Banana Republic is trying to send a message that if you wear their clothes, you will feel young, sexy and alive. It assumes that this is probably a feeling women had in college or shortly thereafter and that they miss it very much. It looks really cool and so it probably is successful at getting what it wants, women to buy their clothes. But seriously, why would you to get in a convertible and drive to rural middle America, post up in the middle of some arid place and break out the guitar? Who has time to do that? How is that at all connected to the clothes you wear? It makes no sense.

    Most women love to gossip. They love nice things, especially clothes. E! is a channel dedicated to celebrity news and rumors; things most guys don't find interesting or important. E! knows exactly who its audience is and it markets to them. It makes you watch an advertisement before you can watch the video to ensure that you see it. I mean, the whole thing is brilliant. Disgusting, but brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  8. #7

    Throughout the posts, I can tell that the plain entertainment purpose of this blog is what diverting and holds the attention of its audience. The almost single digit of the number of comments found in the blog are questionable, supposedly more than what’s expected because the contents seems to target at youngsters who follow up the gossips of the celebrities or the television viewers and such. Although we used to think that it is the number of comments and “likes” on the blog posts which determine the popularity of the blog, I somehow think that it is all depending on the author’s perceptive and guts about what he has to say or share. If what’s written fits a particular group of audience’s own preference and thoughts, it then gives a further boost to the popularity of the blog. I mean, comments do not really matter, because many visitors barely leave a comment, just like anyone of us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm responding to blog prompt #7.

    I believe the purpose of this blog is to spread gossip about the happenings in hollywood and in other spotlight situation in a funny way. The posters often add a humorous comment to their post in order to make whatever video they are showing look even more ridiculous and funny. For example, in one of the video's there is a foreign person doing an unbelievably terrible English accent impersonation, and the in comment next to the video the poster said that the guy had a great english accent in order to highlight how poor of a job the foreigner did with the impression.

    ReplyDelete
  10. #7

    I think this blog is clearly aimed at women. It is all about gossip and girl talk. There are adds on it for women's shoes and chocolate. It is purely for entertainment purposes. They talk about Justin Bieber who little girls love. They also have stuff on The Bachelor and Real House wives of Miami. These things aren't the important aspects of the news, but women seem to love them. It is odd however that there aren't too many comments on the site.

    ReplyDelete
  11. #7
    As several other people have pointed out I think the main purpose of the blog is to provide entertainment and provide a time waster throughout the day. The blog does this by taking various clips of shows that spotlight hollywood and providing somewhat humorous comments. The focus isn't on legitimate news or anything the really matters. You can clearly see this by looking through the first few posts because they include Justin Bieber, Snooki, Real Housewives of Miami, and Jeopardy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. #1
    After looking around on this blog you can tell that this blog is very well organized and kept up. There are a lot of add which tells me that they are making some money off of this blog by selling the ad space. This blog central theme seems to be ragging on celebrities for the dumb things that they do. And by looking at the ads you can tell that the main audience for this blog seems to be middle aged, middle class women, because most of the ads are about medication and clothes for middle aged women.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree with the comments above mine, that the blogs main purpose is for entertainment and humor. Another purpose is to spread gossip about things happening in the media and to make fun of them. I think the blog is definitely geared towards females. There are tabs at the top that say "fashion police" and "red carpet".

    ReplyDelete
  14. #7
    I only did number 7 because everyone else did. I personally think this blog is for the upper class of America. But as bruns.119 said that it is aimed at women I agree. Refreshing the page will bring up different adds and they are all related to women. Expensive makeup,dresses,and whatever Latisse is. Apparently it is what all the women are talking about. I have never heard of it. Also most of the posts are about things women usually find interesting like Justin Beiber appearing on a camera for the thousandth time and shows like "Real Housewives" or "The Bachelor". No offense but I do not find any of these appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This blog is purely entertainment concerning celebrities and popular american icons. For those who actually care about the lives of our stars, this blog is heaven. For those of us who do not care about every little detail about a famous persons life, this blog matters little. This blog is littered with "Reality T.V." shows that a lot of the public does not care about. This blog seems to have little purpose other than allowing others to look into the lives of these overly dramatic "stars"

    ReplyDelete